Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Meeting Patricia

Whilst I am inclined to introspection, my behaviour at a party has been known to be raucous. I enjoy telling a tale and have been known to stretch the truth in an effort to amuse those listening. On the night I met Patricia I was in good form and was surrounded by a captivated audience finding mirth in my reverie. As it happened, a waiter carrying a jug of iced water made contact with my outstretched arms whilst I was in the process of making my point. The cold water spilled upon the two women who were standing closest to me at which point the looks they gave me indicated clearly what a clumsy oaf they thought me to be. Undeterred, I apologized for the incident, sent them in the direction of the bathroom for some towels and continued with my tale.

Later in the evening as I helped myself to the dessert buffet, Patricia approached me and said she had enjoyed listening to my story. Frankly, I had not noticed her before this moment but now that I was looking at her, I found myself captivated by her rather mischievous smile.

“Those girls were not happy with you,” she said.

“They’ll live,” I responded.

I saw Dean, a good friend approaching us.

“Max, I see that you have already met Patricia. Patricia West; Max Parker.”
We both smiled as people do when they have already met and are introduced formally.

“Patricia has just come back from London...”

“Have you?” I asked. “My mother is from London and I’ve spent quite a bit of time there. My last years of study at school were in England.”

“That explains your lovely accent,” she said.

I was beginning to warm to her with every passing moment.

“And, I love the U.K.,” she added.

I smiled and put a small slice of the lemon cheesecake on a plate beside a handful of strawberries and handed it to her.

“Oh, no, I couldn’t!

“I want it all eaten up,” I replied.

I saw a look of pleasant surprise come over the girl. She seemed to enjoy the command.

“Thank you,” she said.

Need I even add that I had secured her telephone number from Dean before I left that party?

No comments: