Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Patiently waiting

I am willing to share that I have had a number of failed relationships with women in my life. It all begins well enough but over time they begin to lose interest in me, considering me too “demanding”. I’ve learned one thing about women and that is that it pays to have them make the first step. I suppose it could be said that Patricia made the first step already. She did approach me at the party. I would have loved to call her over the next week or two. God knows I began to dial her number enough times! But, something inside me told me that I needed to wait. I needed to wait for her.

As the days turned into weeks, I began to wonder if there was a mutual attraction or if it was just in my imagination. Patricia made no effort to contact me whatsoever in spite of the fact that she was not attached to anyone. Dean told me that. At the end of the month I received an invitation to dinner; a friend of Dean who was also at his engagement party. There was no need to bring a girl, he suggested. Dianne, his wife, had sorted out the guest list and had the right numbers for the table now. In any case, Dean and his fiancĂ© Judy would be there. I secretly hoped that I wouldn’t be seated next to some girl who was going to talk my ear off.

I arrived on time. I like to run to time. Dianne and Bill made me feel very welcome. The other couple was nice enough and it is always good to share time with Dean. Around twenty minutes later, as we were sharing a second cocktail awaiting the missing person, the doorbell rang and soon thereafter Dianne and Patricia entered the room chatting away merrily. It turns out they were old school friends who still kept in close touch. It was a delightful surprise. I rather hoped that the evening had been set up this way in order to meet me again. We’ll never know. Women are as thick as thieves. But, as it turns out Patricia was seated next to me throughout the dinner so I think it is a fair assumption it was not just coincidence.

I was polite, of course but not overly effusive. We chatted away pleasantly. Privately, I revelled in her company. I just didn't want to appear too keen. Patricia is not a loud girl. She doesn’t need to be the centre of attention. Yet, she does have opinions and she was not afraid to share some of them with her dinner guests. I must say she was an excellent listener. She is the sort of girl that whomever she is speaking to, she gives them her full attention. I like that in a girl. She seemed quietly confident of herself at the same time as I detected some vulnerability. When she took the wine glass to her mouth one time, her top lip quivered; as if she had just lost her inner confidence for a moment; as if it were just a veneer.

When we were saying our goodbyes, all of us, I walked out with Patricia and saw her to her car. I was sorely tempted to hand her my card. I almost did but held back at the last moment. Patience... patience.

“Max, I was thinking of seeing a movie this weekend – perhaps Sunday evening. Would you care to join me?” she asked rather shyly just before she turned to get into the car.

“That’s a nice idea,” I said; I hope not too enthusiastically. “It has been a while since I have seen a movie.”

She smiled. She seemed pleased.

“I could meet you there...” she began.

“No! I will pick you up at your home. Write me down the address.”

She found a pen and paper in her bag and wrote down the details.

“Thank you. Is it an 8.00 showing?” I asked.

“Yes.”

“Good. I will collect you at 6.30. We’ll have a drink and a light meal first. Don’t be late this time, Patricia. I don’t approve of girls who are not punctual.”

She looked at me a bit aghast. I don’t think anyone had talked to her like that before, given the expression on her face. But, she regained her balance and replied,

“I will be ready, Max.”

And, so she was.

No comments: